United States teen found alive 3 months after parents shot dead

United States teen found alive 3 months after parents shot dead

Thirteen-year-old Jayme Closs was kidnapped nearly three months ago from her Wisconsin home and was located alive Thursday evening, according to the Barron County Sheriff's Office.

Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald said Jayme appeared to be the "only target" of the crime. For 88 days, investigators searched for clues that could lead them to Jayme.

A 21-year-old Wisconsin man has been charged with the kidnapping of 13-year-old Jayme Closs and the murder of her parents, authorities said on Friday, a day after the girl escaped following three months of captivity.

Police swooped on the suspect after Jayme was discovered dirty and malnourished by a woman walking her dog in Gordon, Wisconsin, about 60 miles north of her hometown of Barron. And officials say she immediately helped law enforcement arrest her alleged captor. Only then did the girl reveal her name.

But Kasinskas said Jayme told her she had been held in the Gordon area - near Kasinskas' home - by someone who killed her parents on the night she disappeared.

"I was terrified, but I didn't want to show her that, " Nutter told the AP.

The woman who was the first to encounter a missing Wisconsin girl who vanished after her parents were killed says the teen called out to her for help, said she was lost and grabbed onto her before telling her who she was.

"Jayme was taken against her will and escaped from the residence in which she was being held and found help", Fitzgerald said. Details of what happened in the almost three months since the girl vanished remain unclear, he said, though he said Patterson "took many proactive steps to hide his identity from law enforcement and the general public".

"I honestly still think I'm dreaming right now".

The Star Tribune newspaper in Minneapolis reported on its website that a neighbour walking a dog knocked on the door of Kristin and Peter Kasinskas's home east of Gordon. "My jaw just went to the floor".

More news: Alabama's Hurts replaces Tagovailoa in CFP title game

"She seemed kind of in shock and kind of timid", Kasinskas said.

Patterson lived just three doors down from Kasinskas, but Kasinskas said she didn't realize it until police identified him as the suspect. Jayme was quiet, her emotions "pretty flat, " Peter Kasinskas said.

Jayme went missing after police discovered someone had broken into the family's home outside Barron and shot her parents, James and Denise Closs.

Jayme's grandfather, Robert Naiberg, told the AP that he had been praying for months for the call he received about his granddaughter being found alive.

Fitzgerald said Patterson is now unemployed and does have a "tie" to Barron County - where the teen was abducted - but didn't describe the connection.

Jayme told the woman said she had walked away from a cabin where she'd been held captive, a cabin not far from Nutter's home. They offered her water and food, but she declined both.

Jayme was able to provide a description of a vehicle driven by her alleged captor.

Police did not know what happened or the motive for the killings, and a murder weapon was not recovered, according to U.S. media reports at the time. As of 4 p.m. Friday, she had been reunited with some of her family, with more reunions to follow.

Sue Allard, Jayme's aunt, told the Star Tribune that she could barely express her joy after learning the news Thursday night.

"You just have to get up every day and keep that hope alive and stick together as a family and pray that everything is going to work out", said Tom Allard, a family member.