Global

Shooting in Fredericton, Canada leaves 4 dead - including two police officers

Shooting in Fredericton, Canada leaves 4 dead - including two police officers

In a news release Friday evening, New Brunswick RCMP said they hope the footage will help them determine the circumstances surrounding the shooting, that left four people dead.

Fredericton police were calling on residents in the area of the shooting to stay in their homes with the doors locked.

Authorities posted on Twitter a suspect is in custody and is being treated for serious injuries related to the incident.

Police tweeted: "We are asking people to avoid the area of Brookside Drive this morning due to an ongoing incident. I was just absorbing the whole thing", she said, noting her cat also knew something was wrong.

Jackie McLean, Costello's common-law partner, says a police inspector told the family the news Friday morning.

Police asked residents to stay in their homes and lock their doors.

Police in Fredericton said just after 11 a.m. local time there was no further threat to the public and lockdowns were being lifted.

Three Royal Canadian Mounted Police officers were killed and two more were wounded in 2014 in Moncton, New Brunswick.

More news: Everton Complete Double Swoop for Barcelona’s Mina & Gomes

Costello, 45, was a 20-year police veteran with four children, while Burns, 43, had been an officer for two years and was married with three children.

Residents said the incident began at about 7 a.m.at an apartment complex on Brookside Drive.

"You hear a lot about gun violence in the United States", he said, "but this morning when I heard those noises, what's starting to sink in is that those noises were people losing their lives". First responders were on the scene.

"Doors are locked and everybody's inside", he said. "We will provide more info when we can", the force tweeted.

Elizabeth Hanton, a local resident who has lived in the area for almost 30 years, said some residents may have mistaken the sounds of gunshots for those of local construction crews, which have been working in the area for weeks.

Federal Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale, who held a hastily assembled news conference in Sarnia, Ont., said it was too early to say exactly what happened - or what motives were behind the shooting.

UDPATE: At this time we can confirm that we have one suspect in custody.