Island-wide blackout hits Puerto Rico, entire island without power

Island-wide blackout hits Puerto Rico, entire island without power

An island-wide blackout has struck Puerto Rico, plunging the us territory of more than 3 million citizens back into darkness more than seven months after local and federal officials began working to restore a fragile power grid demolished by Hurricane Maria.

Officials from the Electric Power Authority said that it could take 24 to 36 hours to fully restore power.

The utility said its priority was to restore service to hospitals, San Juan's airport, water pumping systems and banks.

Although much of the power has been restored, Puerto Rico is still suffering the devastating effects, and the rebuild is in full swing as the island tries to come back from its worst natural disaster on record.

Fredyson Martinez, vice president of a union that represents power company workers in Puerto Rico, told The Associated Press that he was concerned about the two back-to-back incidents.

More news: Ricciardo delighted by shock China GP win

Government officials said that a company hired by Cobra Energy known as Dgrimm was involved in both incidents that led to the power outages.

"This has not taken us by surprise", Blakeman said. In the earlier failure on Thursday, about 870,000 customers lost power across the island after a tree fell on the main line to the capital, San Juan. That sudden loss of power transmission, he said, then makes it impossible for substations to keep running.

It is the first island-wide power outage since the storm.

Marla Pérez, an associate professor at the University of Puerto Rico, said she was working from her home in Mayagüez, on the island's far west side, when the power suddenly went out. After the country made strides to regain power, it has experienced yet another blackout that'll take almost 36 hours to reinstate, Buzzfeed reports. Some 40,000 power customers still remain without normal electrical service as a result of the hurricane.

This blackout comes just one week after the island experienced another power outage.