Family: 27-Year-Old Worker Still Missing In Chemical Plant Explosion

Family: 27-Year-Old Worker Still Missing In Chemical Plant Explosion

- One person was critically injured and another is still unaccounted for after an explosion at a chemical plant in Hood County on Thursday morning.

The plant is in Cresson, 50 miles southwest of Dallas.

Crews were eventually evacuated from the vicinity due to the risk of another explosion and possible exposure to risky chemicals.

On Thursday, family members identified the missing worker as 27-year-old Dylan Mitchell.

The employee who dragged his foot caught fire from the waist up, and he was airlifted to a Dallas hospital with severe burn injuries.

Two of Mitchell's coworkers were rescued and sent to the hospital with injuries.

He also said the earliest rescuers will be able to start searching for Mitchell will be on Friday morning, once the fire has extinguished itself.

More news: Al-Qaeda militant from Telangana identified using key document

"Things were blowing out of the roof, like metal lids on buckets", said Jesse Bailey, who was working next door to the plant when the blast occurred.

Cornett said Tri-Chem Industries mixes chemicals that are primarily used by the oil and gas industry to drill disposal wells, and that although he didn't know how numerous chemicals at the plant were hazardous, "what was burnt and exploded was quite toxic". They will resume Friday.

The Environmental Protection Agency and other authorities are monitoring air emissions.

The Texas Center on Environmental Quality will monitor cleanup efforts, and the State's Fire Marshal's Office was asked to investigate the fire's cause.

Cornett said that the wind was carrying black smoke and fumes emanating from the plant away from residents, but that the city could issue an evacuation order if the wind direction changed.

Firefighters arriving from multiple jurisdictions are working to extinguish the inferno which has engulfed the chemical plant in North Texas, USA. It's not clear how numerous chemicals stored at the plant were hazardous.