United Kingdom hospital regrets protracted dispute over Charlie Gard treatment

United Kingdom hospital regrets protracted dispute over Charlie Gard treatment

The ruling of Mr. Justice Francis today indicates that Charlie will be sent to a hospice to have his life support removed.His order doesn't specify how soon Charlie will go into the hospice or which hospice it will be, noting these details are set out in a "Confidential Annexe" to the order.

"But Charlie's doctors at Great Ormond Street Hospital said this experimental therapy, which not undergone clinical trials, likely would not benefit him - and might even harm him".

But they remained in dispute with the hospital over when and where the 11-month-old should die.

Chris Gard and Connie Yates, Charlie's parents, were seeking permission to let him die at home, but they gave up on that after objections from the judge who anxious about the practical implications for a patient with complex care needs.

Charlie's distraught parents had been trying to find a medical team that could look after him in a hospice for several days so that they could bid farewell to him just days before his first birthday, which is due on August 4.

However, GOSH bosses said treatment should end shortly after Charlie's arrival, with a hospital representative describing the parents' plans as not "in any way viable".

The judge is also considering placing Charlie in a hospice for his final days. Upon reviewing the results the couple chose to withdraw all requests to keep Charlie alive and withdrew their application to come to the #United States for treatment.

More news: Bowled over by Mithali Raj & Co's show, city girls bat for cricket

A lawyer for Charlie's court-appointed guardian had told the High Court no hospice could provide care for intensively ventilated children for a long time, so the parents' wish to spend several days with him could not be fulfilled.

"His mother, Connie Yates, told the BBC earlier this year that they wanted to take him to the USA for an experimental treatment: 'If we don't get this opportunity, he's going to die".

Charlie has been a patient at Great Ormond Hospital for the last nine months of his life.

In Britain, courts make right-to-life decisions, not patients or families.

If no agreement was reached, Charlie would be transferred to a hospice and his ventilation tube removed.

"We are struggling to find any comfort or peace with all this, but one thing that does give us the slightest bit of comfort, is that we truly believe that Charlie may have been too special for this cruel world". Charlie's degenerative genetic disorder has left him unable to move.